Saturday, February 2, 2013

Story Time!!!!


Right now, I'm sitting on a plane flying to visit my sister and her family in Wyoming.   We should have taken off at 2:00pm, but poor weather caused delays.  The airline was nice enough to turn direct TV on for us as compensation. The guy sitting in front of me was awesome enough to recline his seat back far enough that I can't see my screen clearly now.  At least I get to listen to the basketball game now.   Of course this won't post to the web until we land but I'm going to write as long as I can until the power on my tablet runs out.

I thought this might be a good time to tell a story.  So, as promised, I'm going to tell the tale of the day I purchased my first big boy bed. Try to contain your excitement.
First things first, some back ground information.  It was 2007, early fall or late summer.  That May I had just moved into my first apartment, with my good friend Jakers.  I owned a Chevy Blazer that was known by my friends as the "Blazza"(a rip-off from the movie dodgeball) I was just starting a relationship, with a cute girl named Kristi (cute was an understatement, and my friends wouldn't let me forget it. Way out of my league). 

Flight update:  deodorant just started to fail.   I can't pick out where the bad smell is on the plane, but it isn't me....yet.
Okay, back to the story.  My bed situation at the time was a futon.  It was one of those metal frame ones that you could buy at Wal-Mart for like a hundred bucks or so.  It worked okay for me at the time when I was flying solo, but now there was a girl that was interested in me.    The bed situation needed an upgrade, but I was a poor college kid. 

I used my situation to my advantage, to get back rubs from the attractive girl that was interested in me.  "My back really hurts from that bed; will you rub my back a little?” Smooth moves Andy.  Eventually one day my lady friend and I were making a list of things we wanted to accomplish before school started up for fall semester.  We were taking turns naming off things and eventually "get Andy a new bed" made the list.   I could tell that this was one of those items that would have good dividends if we could cross it off the list. 

Then, one day, I was in my home town and made a comment to my brother-in-law, Trevor, that I wanted a new bed and was looking for a good deal.  He was on it like a fat kid on a snow-cone in the middle of summer.  He called in a favor and we were on our way to the furniture store.  We meet a guy at the store and he took us around back to the area where they stored mattresses that they could no longer sell for one reason or another.  We found a nice mattress and box spring and he told me I could have it for $100.  Deal.  I just had to go back the next day and pick it up. 
The next day my buddy Cory and I head and pick up the bed.  Once we get there, the realization that even though the Blazer has awesome cargo space, the only way we are going to move the bed is to strap it to the roof.  We proceed to do just that, placing the mattress on top and then the box spring on top of that.

We were slightly limited in supplies to secure the bed to the roof so we mad do with what we had and off we drove.  The speed limit on the road was 55 MPH and that was about as fast as we felt comfortable going. As we drove the occasional wind gust would cause the set-up to shift so we had no choice but to hang on and hold the bed in place with one hand out the window.   

Being that time of year there was plenty of traffic on the road and many of the oncoming vehicles were actually semi-trucks.  When one of them would come past a huge gust of wind would also follow.  The gusts were strong enough that they could almost lift us clear off of our seat.

Once we got into town, Cory and I made a makeshift bed frame out of zip ties, a twin bed frame and the frame from the futon.  This make shift frame was so solidly built that it has never come apart since that day. It has made a few moves, and now resides in my mom’s basement because a more portable frame was found. 

I made it to Wyoming OK and now it’s time for bed.  I’ll post a Super Bowl column on Saturday or Sunday.

Have a Great Weekend every one,

Here’s some bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment